Saturday, March 18, 2017

DIY patches made from clothing labels


DIY Patches ya'll! As you know or as you have seen patches are the it thing right now. I love patches and I've been collecting  them lately. Etsy and Amazon have crazy cool patches that you can use to jazz up an old jacket, new jacket or a pair of jeans.  I looked into getting patches made with my chic on it and it was a little more than I wanted to spend plus I had to buy way too many just to place an order.

Now I am a BERNINA Ambassador and I know that my 350 PE can probably make some type of letter patch and I'm planning on testing out that theory soon. But I wanted my chic so when The Dutch Label Shop wanted me to try their product, I thought this may be the way to make my own patches. Sounded like a great ideal to me!

The size I choose was a 3x3 square, which is kinda big if you're using them in a garment but perfect size for a patch. I thought I can use them in sports-wear or casual clothing that I make and for the patches. Just so you know I didn't know if this would work or not but If the patch thing didn't work at least I could still use the labels. First thing I did was add a label to my denim jacket so that you could see what that looks like.
Now to begin my journey into the unknown wonders of making patches, I started with a backing for the patches something to make them stiff. I had to keep in mind that the patches 100% poly so a "whole lotta heat ain't gonna do them no good" when applying a backing watch your heat setting and use a pressing cloth and I did not use steam. [follow the instructions on your interfacing]

I used a crafting heavy-weight fusible interfacing for one patch, I used a woven fusible interfacing for another and I tried one with no interfacing. Needless to say you can imagine the label with no interfacing did not work out well nor did I capture a picture of it. The heavy-weight worked the best. [I don't have the interfacing label to let you know exactly what I used but it was an interfacing you would use for crafts]
The interfacing attached to the label looked like this.
Now my first ideal was to sew bias tape around the edges.  I used 1/4 double folded pre-packaged bias tape. I like the way it looks but it was a lot of work soooooo, I  don't really think I will do a lot of these.
I added a heat bond so that I would have a no-sew patch. That worked well.
All I would have to do is iron this patch onto my garment, no sewing involved.
Now I decided to use my zig-zag to add and outline and cut off the excess in the shape of the chic and another in a square. 
I heated the edges to melt the fraying poly a little. I imagine this is what they do on real patches because that's what it looks like.
These are some of the patches I have collected along with my chics.
I added a few gold star button in the mix [buttons from Joann's]
I've seen a few of my fellow bloggers that have labels from The Dutch label Shop and I agree with all the awesome reviews. My Chic was looking fabulous on these labels! They have a nice weight to them and I will order from them again cause I have a few more ideals going on in my head. Also I think I'm going to make a trip to meet Abby and the gang at The Dutch Label Shop, they are in Philadelphia which is right around the corner from me.

Now I have a  treat for you, because I am that Fabulous Chic, I have a discount code for you. Check out the shop, pick out your labels and use this code  "thatblackchic" (all lower case) and "BOOM" you get 15% off your purchase! [code is good for 30 days]  *Although this is a sponsored post my review is the real deal!
 photo 35845374-bce1-426b-9e7a-633f43c85d42_zps12c60185.jpg
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© That Black Chic | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig