OK ,I know this is a beginner mistake and I can't believe I fell for the Okie Doke when purchasing my fabric to make this dress. What didn't I do? I didn't read what fabrics I should work with, that what! I saw this purple snake skin twill stretch fabric and I knew I wanted to use it for something. The conversation I had with myself: "Oh I know the dress that I am making for a sew-a-long. I'll just buy three yards for the dress and there is a design in the sleeves that I will use faux leather with this snake print, so I'll take a yard for that" I was in my glory with this purchase. (This is pattern #6 of 20)
Soooooo I cut out all my pieces, marked and notched everything and set it aside ready to go. I finally sat down to sew this dress and everything was going great until I got to my neckline facing. I was like "hmmm, maybe I should have used a knit cause this neckline wasn't fitting together as easily as I thought it should." I continued sewing the rest of the dress. The sleeves are the focal point of this dress and these were going to be thebomb.com with my leather. I started with the print fabric and the next piece was the leather.....wait for it......this is when all hell started breaking loose. The fabric started bunching and puckering. I was like WTH is going on. So as I sat there perplexed and mad as hell, I looked at the pattern and it CLEARLY says knits!!!!! I had two pieces of leather that were supposed to go into the sleeve design, so I took one out and used black knit fabric to salvage the sleeves and finish the dress, because I didn't go through all that with nothing to show for my time. The dress looks OK but not the fit I was looking for. After these photos it's a wrap for this dress that will become a awesome skirt. Lesson learned but all it not lost. I have to say that I will make this dress again with the KNIT fabric!